[Python-ideas] CoC violation

Franklin? Lee leewangzhong+python at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:55:03 EDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:52 AM Elazar <elazarg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 21, 2018, 16:56 Philipp A. <flying-sheep at web.de> wrote:
>>
>> The main clause differentiating bad, weaponizable CoCs from good ones is
>>
>> "Assume good faith"
>>
>> Everything will be OK if good faith can reasonably be assumed (E.g. when someone uses a word which is only offensive based on context)
>> On the other hand, e.g. obvious racial slurs never have a place on a discussion board about a programming language. How can one possibly say them in good faith?
>

> Here's how: as a demonstration that words that are considered slurs in certain contexts (such as the word "Negro" in America) might be considered perfectly legitimate day-to-day words in another context. Even if the example was incorrect, it is still legitimate.

I didn't report him, and I don't agree with the ban, but I assume I'm
missing something if they felt the need to act so strongly, days after
the discussion died down.

Some words are KNOWN to be considered taboo by some. Using the word
(instead of a euphemism), especially while discussing the taboo, is an
intentional political act against those people.

Compare with "Voldemort" in the well-known series "Harry Potter". The
protagonists use the name in the presence of other, superstitious,
characters, when they intend to change the status quo. If they wanted
to have a polite conversation about it, they would use the common
euphemism for that name, because you don't want to ADD emotions to
such a conversation. (I'm intentionally using a positive example, to
keep people from feeling slighted by a negative one.)

> Your question should be directed against the OP in the discussion, bringing up an issue completely unrelated to programming languages (probably trolling, as several people before me have pointed out).

I'm one of those who believe the OP was a troll.

But you're saying that the post was also off-topic. Where would you
rather have it go? The proposal was about changing the Zen of Python.
If ANY proposed change in the Zen goes through, I'd expect to see a
discussion on python-ideas.

On the other hand, discussing taboo words in general society is less
on-topic. Tie it back to Python and how it hurts Python to ban these
words.