[Python-ideas] "slur" vs "insult"?

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 11:23:25 EDT 2018

Kinda OT, but I believe the connotation is that slur is use of the word,
whereas an insult is use directed at someone.

For instance, if someone is having a conversation where they use the
n-word, it's a racial slur. If they directly call someone that, it's an
insult.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018, 9:45 AM Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For the record I was surprised to see the word "slur" pop up
> quite often recently, while I'd only heard "insult" before.  I
> looked it up and it doesn't help that the French translation seems to
> be the same in both cases (it's "insulte").
>
> Then I came upon this thread where someone pretty much asks the same
> question:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/EnglishLearning/comments/6bjgwq/slur_vs_insult/
>
> and the comments there are interesting as to how complicated and
> difficult to grasp the cultural landscape of linguistic taboos really
> is.
>
> Regards
>
> Antoine.
>

> On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 15:55:10 +0200
> "Philipp A." <flying-sheep at web.de> wrote:
> > The main clause differentiating bad, weaponizable CoCs from good ones is
> >
> > "Assume good faith"
> >
> > Everything will be OK if good faith can reasonably be assumed (E.g. when
> > someone uses a word which is only offensive based on context)
> > On the other hand, e.g. obvious racial slurs never have a place on a
> > discussion board about a programming language. How can one possibly say
> > them in good faith?
> >
> > Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> schrieb am Fr., 21. Sep. 2018 um
> > 15:46 Uhr:

> the
> unnecessary
> welcoming to
> > >
> > > Not a challenge to the ban in any way, but I feel the need to repeat
> > > what I said about banning words.  The moment you create that taboo, you
> > > give the word power.  That's the exact opposite of what you want to do.
> > > It's the intent with which the word is used that matters.  I've heard
> > > all sorts of words used as insults -- "special", anyone? -- and many of
> > > the same words used innocently or affectionately.
> > >
> > > Banning bad or insulting behaviour is fine.  Banning words is a bad
> path
> > > to go down.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd

Ryan (ライアン)
Yoko Shimomura, ryo (supercell/EGOIST), Hiroyuki Sawano >> everyone else
https://refi64.com/