[Python-ideas] "slur" vs "insult"?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Sep 21 10:44:11 EDT 2018

Hi,

For the record I was surprised to see the word "slur" pop up
quite often recently, while I'd only heard "insult" before.  I
looked it up and it doesn't help that the French translation seems to
be the same in both cases (it's "insulte").

Then I came upon this thread where someone pretty much asks the same
question:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EnglishLearning/comments/6bjgwq/slur_vs_insult/

and the comments there are interesting as to how complicated and
difficult to grasp the cultural landscape of linguistic taboos really
is.

Regards

Antoine.