[Python-ideas] Python docs page: In what ways is None special

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:55:06 EDT 2018

Hi

Thank you all, for the kind words and appreciation, and the comments
and suggestions. I have time now to respond to one comment. Please
note that is just my opinion, and your opinion may be different.

Rhodri James prefers
(https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2018-August/052742.html)
> Sometimes a value is required but we're not able to provide one.
to my
> Sometimes a value is required. But we're not able to provide one.

The next sentence is
> In Python, we can use None to solve this problem.

I chose the punctuation I did, because I wanted to state clearly the
problem. Which is, roughly speaking, damned if you do, and damned if
you don't. (In the US, between a rock and a hard place.)

In other words, a dilemma.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/dilemma
a choice between [...] undesirable alternatives.

This paragraph
> Sometimes a value is required. But we're not able to
> provide one. In Python, we can use None to solve
> this problem.
is in my mind None in a nutshell.

Rhodri says my version, exaggerated for effect, reads like
> Sometimes a value is required.  But (pay careful attention
> to this, it's important and there will be a quiz later)
> we're not able to provide one.

Yes, Rhodri, you've understood what I'm doing. I do want the reader to
pay careful attention. If they only remember one thing, this is what I
want them to remember.

Rhodri say that his version reads more easily. I agree. And that that
is why I prefer my version!

Sometimes you have to slow the reader down, so that there's time for
understanding to catch up. Short sentences catch attention. Long
sentences, with many clauses and a variation of ideas, go by like the
scenery on a long and monotonous care journey. And little is
remembered.

The lesson I take from this is not that I am right and Rhodri is
wrong. Or the other way round. That depends on context, taste and
house style. And often, there are good reasons on both sides of the
decision. So the starting point for persuading someone to change their
mind might be this: Understand the forces that led them to the
position they hold.

Sometime before the end of the month, I'll process the remaining
contributions and comments. I hope it doesn't take me more than an
hour or two. I'll start by looking at github issues, then pull
requests, and then python-ideas.

Once again, thank you for all the comments and suggestions. And the
kind words and appreciation.
--
Jonathan