[Python-ideas] How to respond to trolling (Guido van Rossum)

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Jan 12 18:40:33 EST 2017

On 01/12/2017 03:21 PM, Random832 wrote:

> Just out of curiosity... in your estimation, what is a "wart", and why
> is the term "wart" used for it? I mean, this is an accepted term that
> the Python community uses to refer to things [...]

I do not see any difference between calling something a "wart" and calling something "ugly".

The sticking point in this case is highlighted by your statement, "an accepted term *by the Python community*" [emphasis added].

In other words, it is equally offensive for a stranger to come in and start branding this or that as warts as it is for that same stranger to come in and start declaring this or that as ugly.

--
~Ethan~