[Python-ideas] PEP 540: Add a new UTF-8 mode

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 01:59:58 EST 2017

On 11 January 2017 at 17:05, Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:
> Anyway, I need to look more carefully at the actual PEPs and see if
> there's something concrete to worry about.  But remember, we have
> about 18 months to chew over this if necessary

FWIW, I'm hoping to backport whatever improved handling of the C
locale that we agree on for Python 3.7+ to the initial system Python
3.6.0 release in Fedora 26 [1] - hence the section about redistributor
backports in PEP 538.

While the problems with the C locale have been known for a while, this
latest attempt to do something about it started as an idea I had for a
downstream Fedora-specific patch (which became PEP 538), while that
PEP in turn served as motivation for Victor to write PEP 540 as an
alternative approach that didn't depend on having the C.UTF-8 locale
available.

With the F26 Alpha at the end of February and the F26 Beta in late
April, I'm hoping we can agree on a way forward without requiring
months to make a decision :)

> -- I'm only asking for a few more days

Yeah, while I'd prefer not to see the discussions drag out
indefinitely, there's also still plenty of time for folks to consider
the PEPs closely and formulate their perspective.

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/26/Schedule