[Python-ideas] npm-style venv-aware launcher

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun May 31 15:10:54 CEST 2015

Steven D'Aprano writes:

 > I don't think this is the right place to discuss either of those ideas.

I think you're missing the point -- this is part of the larger
discussion on packaging, as Alexander recognized ("shoot this over to
distutils-sig", he said).  While technically it may belong elsewhere
(distutils, for example), the amount of attention it's attracting from
core committers right now suggests that it's a real pain point, and
should get discussion from the wider community while requirements are
still unclear.

While I'm not one for suggesting that TOOWTDI is obvious in advance
(and not even if you're Dutch), surely it's worth narrowing down the
field by looking at a lot of ideas.