[Python-ideas] npm-style venv-aware launcher

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun May 31 13:32:25 CEST 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 09:16:57AM +0200, David Townshend wrote:
> Pip and venv have done a lot to improve the accessibility and ease of
> installing python packages, but I believe there is still a lot of room for
> improvement.  I only realised how cumbersome I find working with python
> packages when I recently spent a lot of time on a javascript project using
> npm.  A bit of googling and I found several articles discussing pip, venv
> and npm, and all of them seemed to say the same thing, i.e. pip/venv could
> learn a lot from npm.
>
> My proposal revolves around two issues:
[...]

I don't think this is the right place to discuss either of those ideas.
pip is not part of either the Python language or the standard library
(apart from the very narrow sense that the most recent versions of
Python include a tool to bootstrap pip). I think you should submit them
on whatever forum pip uses to discuss feature suggestions.

--
Steve