Where to post stuff?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at python.org
Tue Oct 1 09:35:35 CEST 2013

On 01.10.2013 09:31, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> On 01.10.2013 01:00, Richard Jones wrote:
>> Just quickly, regarding the PyTennessee CFP I wasn't going to add that to
>> the calendar since if we add a bunch of conference CFPs I think the
>> calendar will get too cluttered.
>
> The Google calendars should only list the events themselves,
> not any extras like CFPs.
>
> I've added a note to the calendar wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEventsCalendar#General_Requirements
>
> For the news list on python.org, I think adding CFPs for larger events
> is fine, but I can see that this can easily move more important news such
> as new Python releases out of visibility - esp. since the new site
> will only list a limited number of entries.
>
>> Hm, I just noticed the Melbourne user group comes up as 10AM. It's 6PM with
>> the correct timezone in the calendar, but obviously the website display
>> fixes the timezone to something else and translates the time. Ho hum.
>
> Both calendars are set to use GMT as their native timezone.
> When adding an event, you can set the timezone to a specific
> location and Google will then store the corresponding GMT
> time in the calendar. That may be more confusing than useful.
>
> Perhaps there's something we could tweak to have it use
> the browser timezone. The iframes explicitly list:
>
> ctz=Europe%2FLondon
>
> which according to https://developers.google.com/google-apps/calendar/v2/reference
> results in all events being listed in London time (not even
> GMT, but also London summer time).

Also see this thread:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/?_escaped_fragment_=msg/calendar/oM9HZJpwN7E/YAdncNTcZxYJ#!msg/calendar/oM9HZJpwN7E/YAdncNTcZxYJ

Looks like we'd have to add some JavaScript to make it happen,
perhaps based on this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1091372/getting-the-clients-timezone-in-javascript

if the calendar query API supports using timezone strings that
are not locations.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Director