Where to post stuff?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Oct 1 09:31:28 CEST 2013

On 01.10.2013 01:00, Richard Jones wrote:
> Just quickly, regarding the PyTennessee CFP I wasn't going to add that to
> the calendar since if we add a bunch of conference CFPs I think the
> calendar will get too cluttered.

The Google calendars should only list the events themselves,
not any extras like CFPs.

I've added a note to the calendar wiki page:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEventsCalendar#General_Requirements

For the news list on python.org, I think adding CFPs for larger events
is fine, but I can see that this can easily move more important news such
as new Python releases out of visibility - esp. since the new site
will only list a limited number of entries.

> Hm, I just noticed the Melbourne user group comes up as 10AM. It's 6PM with
> the correct timezone in the calendar, but obviously the website display
> fixes the timezone to something else and translates the time. Ho hum.

Both calendars are set to use GMT as their native timezone.
When adding an event, you can set the timezone to a specific
location and Google will then store the corresponding GMT
time in the calendar. That may be more confusing than useful.

Perhaps there's something we could tweak to have it use
the browser timezone. The iframes explicitly list:

ctz=Europe%2FLondon

which according to https://developers.google.com/google-apps/calendar/v2/reference
results in all events being listed in London time (not even
GMT, but also London summer time).

We might want to drop using timezones for such events
and only list the local times in the description.

What do you think ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 01 2013)
2013-10-14: PyCon DE 2013, Cologne, Germany ...            13 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/