[Python-Dev] VxWorks and cpython?

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Wed Jan 9 18:43:20 EST 2019

I also wrote some information in my website:
https://pythondev.readthedocs.io/platforms.html

> If possible it would also be helpful to get SSH access to some VxWorks
> machines for core devs. I know that Victor likes to dig into rare corner
> cases and help to debug exotic platforms.

The best case to get a full support is to have one core developer
responsible of handling all bugs specific to the platform.

As a core developer, I'm never comfortable to merge a change specific
to a platform if I'm not able to validate it manually myself. I trust
no one, not even myself (I know well that I do frequently mistakes!),
so I prefer to always double check changes before merging them ;-)

In the meanwhile, I would say that we can only offer "best effort"
support. Fix reports bugs and do our best in our limited time.

Someone has to take the work done to port Python on VxWorks and write
small pull requests. These PRs should be reviewed one by one to make
sure that it's the correct way to fix an issue. Be prepared that it
can take several months even if all these changes look obvious to
*you*. Core developers have limited time and many prefer to focus on
the platforms that they are using, not worry about a platform they
never heard about... I can have a look at such PRs.

It would also help to have a documentation somewhere about "Python on
VxWorks". Pointers to VxWorks (general info, developers info),
pointers to your port, current status of the port, etc.

Victor