[Python-Dev] VxWorks and cpython?

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Wed Jan 9 12:13:32 EST 2019

On 09/01/2019 17.52, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> I am glad that this is happening!
>
> I don't think you need a PEP to motivate your request -- however you
> need to submit the upstream patches, work with the CPython buildbot
> managers (Victor?) to connect your buildbots, and work with reviewers
> (Serhiy?) to get your patches integrated in CPython. Hopefully the
> patches are small and focused -- we generally don't take patches that
> refactor large swaths of code. It's also better not to submit everything
> in a single giant patch (reviewers hate mega-patches). And the patch
> submitters need to be responsive when the code review comments are coming.
>
> This is not a one-time effort -- your team will need to be "on call" to
> handle VxWorks issues for the foreseeable future (a minimum commitment
> of 5 years?), and your team members needs to be able to do this in their
> capacity as Wind River engineers, not as open source volunteers.
>
> I believe there is a PEP with a list of supported operating systems that
> needs to be updated, but I don't recall which one it is -- hopefully you
> can track it down with a little Googling. (Or was it the devguide?)

Hi,

It's a PEP. The process and expectations for platform are explained in
PEP 11, https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0011/

If possible it would also be helpful to get SSH access to some VxWorks
machines for core devs. I know that Victor likes to dig into rare corner
cases and help to debug exotic platforms.

Christian