[Python-Dev] Official citation for Python

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Sep 15 16:46:06 EDT 2018

> On Saturday, September 15, 2018, Jacqueline Kazil <jackiekazil at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I just got caught up on the thread. This is a really great discussion.
>> Thank you for all the contributions.
>>
>> Before we get into the details, let's go back to the main use case we are
>> trying to solve.
>> *As a user, I am writing an academic paper and I need to cite Python. *

ai'd still like to know *why* you need to cite python 0 I can imagine
multiple reasons, and that may influence the best document to cite.

> Let's throw reproducibility out the window for now (<--- something I never
>> thought I would say), because that should be captured in the code, not in
>> the citations.

thanks for that clarification.

> So, if we don't need the specific version of Python, then maybe creating
>> one citation is all we need.

well, Python does evolve over time, so depending on why you are citing it,
version may matter.

But i suggest hat the language reference be used as the "primary" citation
for Python, and then you can cite the version that is current at the time
of your paper writing (Or the version that's relevant to your paper).

And that gives it some good Google juice as well.

> https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=python+van+Rossum *

looks like the language reference shows there -- so good to go.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov