[Python-Dev] Official citation for Python

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 13:12:32 EDT 2018

On Saturday, September 15, 2018, Jacqueline Kazil <jackiekazil at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I just got caught up on the thread. This is a really great discussion.
> Thank you for all the contributions.
>
> Before we get into the details, let's go back to the main use case we are
> trying to solve.
> *As a user, I am writing an academic paper and I need to cite Python. *
>
> Let's throw reproducibility out the window for now (<--- something I never
> thought I would say), because that should be captured in the code, not in
> the citations.
>
> So, if we don't need the specific version of Python, then maybe creating
> one citation is all we need.
> And that gives it some good Google juice as well.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=python+van+Rossum *

https://www.semanticscholar.org/search?q=Python%20van%20Rossum

https://www.mendeley.com/research-papers/?query=Python+van+Rossum

https://www.zotero.org/search/q/Python/type/group

With an e.g. {Zotero,} group, it would be easy to cite the Python citation
with the greatest centrality.
https://networkx.github.io/documentation/stable/reference/algorithms/centrality.html

A DOI URN/URI/URL really is easiest to aggregate the edges of/for.

- [ ] Link to the new citation(s) page in the Python docs from the SciPy
citing page
https://www.scipy.org/citing.html

NP. YW!