[Python-Dev] bpo-34595: How to format a type name?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Sep 11 19:35:23 EDT 2018

FWIW, I personally think this went to python-dev prematurely. This is a
shallow problem and IMO doesn't need all that much handwringing. Yes, there
are a few different alternatives. So list them all concisely in the tracker
and think about it for a few minutes and then pick one. No matter what's
picked it'll be better than the status quo -- which is that printing a
class name produces either a full or a short name depending on whether it's
defined in C or Python, and there's no simple pattern (in C) to print
either the full or the short name.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)