[Python-Dev] bpo-34595: How to format a type name?

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Tue Sep 11 19:06:42 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-11 23:23, Victor Stinner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Last week, I opened an issue to propose to add a new %T formatter to
> PyUnicode_FromFormatV() and so indirectly to PyUnicode_FromFormat()
> and PyErr_Format():
>
>     https://bugs.python.org/issue34595
>
> I merged my change, but then Serhiy Storchaka asked if we can add
> something to get the "fully qualified name" (FQN) of a type, ex
> "datetime.timedelta" (FQN) vs "timedelta" (what I call "short" name).
> I proposed a second pull request to add %t (short) in addition to %T
> (FQN).
>
> But then Petr Viktorin asked me to open a thread on python-dev to get
> a wider discussion. So here I am.
>

> The rationale for this change is to fix multiple issues:
>
> * C extensions use Py_TYPE(obj)->tp_name which returns a fully
> qualified name for C types, but the name (without the module) for
> Python name. Python modules use type(obj).__name__ which always return
> the short name.
>
> * currently, many C extensions truncate the type name: use "%.80s"
> instead of "%s" to format a type name
>
> * "%s" with Py_TYPE(obj)->tp_name is used more than 200 times in the C
> code, and I dislike this complex pattern. IMHO "%t" with obj would be
> simpler to read, write and maintain.
>
> * I want C extensions and Python modules to have the same behavior:
> respect the PEP 399. Petr considers that error messages are not part
> of the PEP 399, but the issue is wider than only error messages.
>

> The main issue is that at the C level, Py_TYPE(obj)->tp_name is
> "usually" the fully qualified name for types defined in C, but it's
> only the "short" name for types defined in Python.
>
> For example, if you get the C accelerator "_datetime",
> PyTYPE(obj)->tp_name of a datetime.timedelta object gives you
> "datetime.timedelta", but if you don't have the accelerator, tp_name
> is just "timedelta".
>
> Another example, this script displays "mytimedelta(0)" if you have the
> C accelerator, but "__main__.mytimedelta(0)" if you use the Python
> implementation:
> ---
> import sys
> #sys.modules['_datetime'] = None
> import datetime
>
> class mytimedelta(datetime.timedelta):
>      pass
>
> print(repr(mytimedelta()))
> ---
>
> So I would like to fix this kind of issue.
>

> Type names are mainly used for two purposes:
>
> * format an error message
> * obj.__repr__()
>
> It's unclear to me if we should use the "short" or the "fully
> qualified" name. It should maybe be decided on a case by case basis.
>
> There is also a 3rd usage: to implement __reduce__, here backward
> compatibility matters.
>

> Note: The discussion evolved since my first implementation of %T which
> just used the not well defined Py_TYPE(obj)->tp_name.
>
> --

> [...]
I'm not sure about having 2 different, though similar, format codes for
2 similar, though slightly different, cases. (And, for all we know, we
might want to use "%t" at some later date for something else.)

Perhaps we could have a single format code plus an optional '#' for the
"alternate form":

%T for short form
%#T for fully qualified name