[Python-Dev] Troubles to merge changes in the 2.7 branch: PR "out-of-date" branch

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Mon May 28 05:57:28 EDT 2018

Hi,

Since one or two weeks, I noticed that it's difficult to merge pull
requests into the 2.7 branch. If a different commit is pushed in the
meanwhile (if a different PR has been merged), the 2.7 branch diverges
and the PR is immediately marked as "This branch is out-of-date with
the base branch" and the "Squash and Merge" button is disabled (grey).

For example my PR https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/7120 which
changes Lib/test/regrtest.py cannot be merged because a commit
touching the documentation (Doc/ directory) has been merged after I
posted my PR and before the CI completed.

I don't see the same behavior on the master branch. Is the 2.7 branch
configured as more strict?

Victor