[Python-Dev] PEP: 576 Title: Rationalize Built-in function classes

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed May 23 09:59:13 EDT 2018

On 23 May 2018 at 05:47, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 10:07 AM, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 22May2018 0741, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>>> ISTR there are plenty of PEPs that never get posted to python-ideas
>>> because they are discussed on a separate list.
>>>

>> There are often better venues for the initial discussion (such as
>> security-sig, distutils-sig or datetime-sig), but I think that's orthogonal
>> from posting the full text of a PEP.
>>

> I don't think that the original rationale for posting the full text of a
> PEP to a mailing list still applies. The raw text is on GitHub in the
> python/peps repo, and the formatted text is on python.org. We're not some
> kind of bureaucratic org that pretends to still live in the world of paper
> and pencil.

The raw text being on Github rather than hg.python.org makes the rationale
for archiving full copies on mail.python.org stronger, not weaker.

That said, if the aim is to keep discussion in another place (such as
>> github), you really don't want copies floating around any other mailing
>> lists. Eventually I'd hope it comes through for final review though, as I'm
>> sure a number of us are unlikely to click through to github unless we have
>> a specific interest in the topic.
>

> IMO if you can't be bothered to click through on GitHub you forfeit your
> right to comment. (Which isn't a right anyway, it's a privilege.)

I would never consider it an acceptable process restriction to require
people to sign up for an account with a proprietary American software
company in order to comment on the future of the Python programming
language.

If folks get more feedback than they have the ability to process in a short
amount of time, then "Deferred" is a perfectly reasonable state to put a
PEP into until they *do* have time to go through and account for the
feedback - it isn't like it's a major disaster if we put an idea back on
the shelf for a couple of months (or years!), let folks mull it over for a
while, and then reconsider it later with fresh eyes.

Cheers,
Nick.