[Python-Dev] PEP: 576 Title: Rationalize Built-in function classes

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue May 22 15:47:29 EDT 2018

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 10:07 AM, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org>
wrote:

> On 22May2018 0741, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> ISTR there are plenty of PEPs that never get posted to python-ideas
>> because they are discussed on a separate list.
>>

> There are often better venues for the initial discussion (such as
> security-sig, distutils-sig or datetime-sig), but I think that's orthogonal
> from posting the full text of a PEP.

I don't think that the original rationale for posting the full text of a
PEP to a mailing list still applies. The raw text is on GitHub in the
python/peps repo, and the formatted text is on python.org. We're not some
kind of bureaucratic org that pretends to still live in the world of paper
and pencil.

> That said, if the aim is to keep discussion in another place (such as
> github), you really don't want copies floating around any other mailing
> lists. Eventually I'd hope it comes through for final review though, as I'm
> sure a number of us are unlikely to click through to github unless we have
> a specific interest in the topic.

IMO if you can't be bothered to click through on GitHub you forfeit your
right to comment. (Which isn't a right anyway, it's a privilege.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)