[Python-Dev] PEP: 576 Title: Rationalize Built-in function classes

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sat May 19 08:48:26 EDT 2018

mark schrieb am 19.05.2018 um 11:15:
> At the language summit this year, there was some discussion of PEP 575.
> I wanted to simplify the PEP, but rather than modify that PEP, Nick Coghlan
> encouraged me to write an alternative PEP instead.
>
> PEP 576 aims to fulfill the same goals as PEP 575, but with fewer changes
> and to be fully backwards compatible.
>
> The PEP can be viewed here:
>
> https://github.com/python/peps/blob/master/pep-0576.rst

Quick question, since the PEP doesn't say it explicitly. I assume that the
builtin function type would be subclassable, right? That would suggest that
it also needs a type flag bit for fast type checking.

Basically, subclassing still seems necessary in order to support closure
state, non-constant default arguments, etc.

Stefan