[Python-Dev] [PEP 576/580] Comparing PEP 576 and 580

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Thu Aug 2 05:22:36 EDT 2018

Antoine Pitrou writes:

 > We could proceed by consensus: the PEP author publicly proposes a PEP
 > delegate, and if no core developer opposes, that person is officially
 > accepted as delegate.

I think this is too decentralized.  I think there should be enthusiasm
for the delegate, say two "seconds" (with discussion of why they think
the delegate is appropriate) besides the PEP proponent(s).

 > Often PEP authors have a pretty good idea of who can be a delegate for
 > a PEP.  This is especially true on specialized topics which only a
 > couple core devs are interested in discussing actively.

I agree that this is an important point.  I think you (disclaimer: I'm
a social scientist, but not a committer) should be careful that
delegates be broadly respected, and where possible have interests in
other areas of Python development besides the one they're delegate
for.