[Python-Dev] [PEP 576/580] Comparing PEP 576 and 580

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Aug 1 12:30:14 EDT 2018

On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 09:05:52 -0700
Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Aug 2018 at 07:47 Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> > > Is that certain? I haven't been following the process discussions, so
> > > I'm just asking the question. For example, given that you are already
> > > looking at PEP 580, would it be possible for you to handle PEP 580 as
> > > official BDFL-Delegate (even if there is no BDFL)?
> >
> > I think this would be a reasonable thing to discuss either here or on
> > the committers list or both.
> >

> If there was an absolute certainty of who the BDFL delegate would be then
> we might be able to not wait, but without that I don't know if enough core
> devs will feel comfortable choosing one right now.

We could proceed by consensus: the PEP author publicly proposes a PEP
delegate, and if no core developer opposes, that person is officially
accepted as delegate.

Often PEP authors have a pretty good idea of who can be a delegate for
a PEP.  This is especially true on specialized topics which only a
couple core devs are interested in discussing actively.

Regards

Antoine.