[Python-Dev] PEP 572: Why not := as standard assignment operator?

Martin Teichmann lkb.teichmann at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:13:19 EDT 2018

Hi list,

when reading PEP 572 I actually liked it a lot - I think it's actually
a cool idea. I think it's actually that cool an idea that it should be
made the default way of doing an assignment, over time phasing out the
good ole =.

This would have several benefits:

- people wouldn't have to worry about two different options
- different things would have a different look: assignment is :=,
keyword args is =, while comparison is ==. Especially beginners would
benefit from this clarity.

in this case, for sure, we should make it possible to chain :=s, for
example by making it bind right-to-left, so that  a := b := 3 would be

I'm sorry if somebody brought that up already, but the discussion has
grown so huge that I couldn't read through it entirely.

Greetings

Martin