[Python-Dev] re performance

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Jan 29 15:30:38 EST 2017

Why not declare re deprecated and remove it in Python 4? I am pretty sure
everyone wants to keep re in all 3.x releases, but that support need not
extend beyond. So Py4 would have no battery for re, but it would (should!)
be common knowledge that regex was the go-to module for general-purpose
pattern matching. If re has advantages in certain situations someone might
upgrade the 3.x implementation and provide it as a 3rd-party module, though
the effort involved would be significant, so someone would have to be
motivated to keep it.

regards
 Steve

Steve Holden