[Python-Dev] re performance

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jan 29 11:13:29 EST 2017

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 12:07:05 -0500
Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2017, at 03:43 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>
> >I still think it could be a good candidate for a first "bundled"
> >module, where we don't migrate it fully into the CPython development
> >process, but *do* officially bless it and provide it by default in the
> >form of a bundled wheel file (similar to what we do with pip).
>
> How would that work exactly.  I.e. is there a PEP?
>
> While I think it could be a good idea to bundle (more?) third party packages
> for a variety of reasons, I want to make sure it's done in a way that's still
> friendly to downstream repackagers, as I'm sure you do to. :)

That sounds like a lot of effort and maintenance...  Don't we bundle pip
*exactly* so that we don't have to bundle other third-party packages
and instead tell users to "just use `pip install <some package>`"?

To sum it up, how about we simply add an official suggestion to use
regex in the docs?

Regards

Antoine.