[Python-Dev] pythonhosted.org upload no longer works

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:41:39 EDT 2016

On 10 October 2016 at 14:34, Giampaolo Rodola' <g.rodola at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is what I've bumped into just now:
>
> python setup.py upload_sphinx --upload-dir=docs/_build/html
> running upload_sphinx
> Submitting documentation to https://upload.pypi.org/legacy/
> Upload failed (410): Uploading documentation is no longer supported, we
> recommend using https://readthedocs.org/.
>
> Personally I prefer pythonhosted over readthedocs as I can provide the same
> style as official Python's doc (see https://pythonhosted.org/psutil/) and,
> most importantly, because I can automatize doc upload just by running "make
> doc-upload".
> Is there a reason upload functionality has been disabled?
> Is pythonhosted.org going to be dismissed or something?

This was discussed on distutils-sig back in May 2015. The thread
starts here: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2015-May/026327.html.
One of the actions in the final proposal
(https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2015-May/026381.html)
included a step to contact projects that were using pythonhosted.org.
Did you not get any contact?

It might be worth picking this up on distutils-sig, as that's where
the original discussion occurred. I've copied this reply to there, and
suggest followups go to that list.

Paul