[Python-Dev] Wordcode: new regular bytecode using 16-bit units

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 16:16:35 EDT 2016

Hi Raymond,

> I think the word code patch should go in sooner rather than later.  Several of us have been through the patch and it is in pretty good shape (some parts still need work though).  The earlier this goes in, the more time we'll have to shake out any unexpected secondary effects.

Yury Selivanov and Serhiy Storchaka told me that they will review
shortly the patch. I give them one more week and then I will push the
patch.

I agree that the patch is in a good shape. I reviewed first versions
of the change. I pushed some minor and obvious changes. I also asked
to revert unrelated changes.

I proposed to not try to optimize ceval.c to fetch (oparg, opval) in a
single 16-bit operation. It should be easy to implement it later, but
I prefer to focus on changing the format of the bytecode.

Victor