[Python-Dev] Wordcode: new regular bytecode using 16-bit units

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 15:45:15 EDT 2016

> On Apr 23, 2016, at 8:59 AM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I collected statistics for use opcodes with different arguments during running CPython tests. Estimated size with using wordcode is 1.33 times less than with using current bytecode.
>
> [1] http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.ideas/38293

I think the word code patch should go in sooner rather than later.  Several of us have been through the patch and it is in pretty good shape (some parts still need work though).  The earlier this goes in, the more time we'll have to shake out any unexpected secondary effects.

perfect-is-the-enemy-of-good-ly yours,

Raymond

P.S. The patch is smaller, more tractable, and in better shape than the C version of OrderedDict was when it went in.