[Python-Dev] thoughts on backporting __wrapped__ to 2.7?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:24:25 EDT 2016

On 4 April 2016 at 20:04, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> I'm working on teaching funcsigs - the backport of inspect.signature -
> better handling for wrapped functions, and the key enabler to do that
> is capturing the wrapped function in __wrapped__. I'm wondering what
> folks thoughts are on backporting that to 2.7 - seems cleaner than
> monkeypatching functools.wraps, which would tend to be subject to
> import ordering races and general ick. I'll likely prep such a
> monkeypatch for folk that are stuck on older versions of 2.7 anyhow...
> so its not a huge win...

Right, the baseline there is really 2.7.5 + selected backports, and
the backport set is small for RHEL 7.x, and even smaller for Debian
stable and Ubuntu LTS. Even getting the network security enhancements
backported has proven to be challenging - other feature updates have
next to no chance.

Given that, I don't see a compelling reason to change the existing
policy - the "no new features in point releases" restriction only gets
waived in cases that have implications beyond the Python 2.7 process
itself (which pretty much restricts potential waivers to network
security enhancements).

Cheers,
Nick.