[Python-Dev] Pydoc Replacement for Python's help()?

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 21:08:59 CET 2015

Looking at pydoc.py, it looks like the Tk is purely optional...and isn't
called from the interpreter. (I'm not a core dev, though, so take that with
a grain of salt.) However, can't you just strip out the gui function and
the one place in the file where it's called?

Again, not a main Python developer, so don't take this too seriously!

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Cyd Haselton <chaselton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've finally managed to build a (somewhat) working Python port for the
> Android tablet I'm using.  Unfortunately, as I quickly found out,
> Python's built-in help function requires tkinter, which requires
> tcl/tk.
>
> I did download the sources for tcl/tk and built tcl, but found out
> that tk requires XWindows libraries and includes.
>
> Long story short:  Is there an alternative documentation system (i.e.
> epydoc) that does not have tkinter dependencies?  If so, is there a
> parameter or env variable that would allow me to use it instead of
> pydoc?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Cyd

Ryan
If anybody ever asks me why I prefer C++ to C, my answer will be simple:
"It's becauseslejfp23(@#Q*(E*EIdc-SEGFAULT. Wait, I don't think that was
nul-terminated."
Personal reality distortion fields are immune to contradictory evidence. -
srean
Check out my website: http://kirbyfan64.github.io/