[Python-Dev] PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Wed Feb 18 00:29:34 CET 2015

On 2/17/2015 1:40 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I agree, for deployment to environments where you can guarantee that the basic
> Python infrastructure is available.  It may not be though, and perhaps we can
> relegate that to py2exe, cx_freeze, and friends, although I would say that
> having such support built into Python would be very cool, and of high value to
> our users.
>
> That's not to play down the usefulness of good executable zip support, pared
> of the stdlib and interpreter.  OTOH, it would be nice to think ahead, where
> the same tool could generate both types of single-file executables.

Thinking ahead?  Novel idea!  My dream scheme...

A scheme for putting all the pure- Python modules (mostly user code)
into a .pyz, and a concurrent scheme for putting all the non-pure-
Python modules (maybe even Python itself, for platforms that are missing
the necessary version of Python 3), into some other platform-dependent
bundle.

User instructions then become... try the .pyz, if it doesn't work,
install the platform-dependent bundle and then it will.

So one could build up a platform-dependent bundle that contains all
stuff used in development of various projects, and have easy user
instructions for deployment of  various .pyz apps.

Longer instructions for people that think they know what they are doing
would list the version of Python and the versions of the various
dependencies in the platform-dependent bundle, if they wish to install
them manually, etc.

I suppose licensing might, in some cases, conflict with making a single
bundle for some modules and platforms.

I'm already doing the .pyz apps, using .py extensions, but don't have
the other piece in place.... it's harder, and I haven't acquired the
skill set for putting the binary chunks together... other than unzipping
to the filesystem.

Glenn