[Python-Dev] PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 22:19:20 CET 2015

On 17 February 2015 at 18:44, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> I don't know exactly what the procedure would be to claim .pyz for *nix,
> e.g. updating /etc/mime.types, but I think the PEP should at least mention
> this.  I think we want to get as official support for .pyz files on *nix as
> possible.

I'll add a note to the PEP, but I have no idea how we would even go
about that, so that's all I can do, unfortunately. But absolutely,
yes, the intention is that ".pyz" is officially the standard extension
for Python zip applications. (And for that matter, I'd like the PEP to
promote the specific term "Python Zip Application" as the correct way
to refer to these things - without a concrete term to use, it's very
hard for the idea to get traction).

Paul