[Python-Dev] PEP 370 - per-user scripts directory on Windows

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 01:07:03 CET 2015

On 14 Feb 2015 01:47, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 February 2015 at 14:27, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com>
wrote:
> > If py.exe starts defaulting to whatever is on PATH then I don't see the
> > point of it. Knowing that you'll get the latest 2.x version by default
is
> > quite handy (I'd be quite okay changing that to 3.x, though it is
specified
> > in the original PEP). For me, the point of py.exe is to be able to
ignore
> > PATH completely.
>
> It does seem a bit bizarre to me that a launcher shipped with Python 3
> defaults to using Python 2 if it's available. I'd like to see that
> change, but as it's specified in the original PEP I guess it might
> meet with some pushback :-(

If there's no Python 2 on the system it doesn't matter, and if they're both
there, we opted to remain consistent with the Linux distro world.

OTOH, it may be time to reconsider our recommendation to distros as well,
suggesting that for Python 3.5+, we will consider it appropriate to have
the "python" symlink refer to "python3".

Cheers,
Nick.