[Python-Dev] PEP 370 - per-user scripts directory on Windows

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 00:20:45 CET 2015

On 11 Feb 2015 03:47, "Steve Dower" <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:

> This is yet another attempt to try and change user behaviour, which I'm
not thrilled about, but I'm really starting to feel that this is the best
way out of a bad situation. It differs from the solutions used on Linux,
though there may be some value in this approach there too.
Thought/votes/suggestions?

I don't think we have this problem solved on Linux either, we just have a
variety of workarounds in place of varying degrees of clunkiness :)

The thing I find attractive about this specific proposal is that we could
potentially expand it to Linux as well through appropriate use of
environment modules, and I expect that would also cover other POSIX systems.

So if you wanted to draft up an initial PEP with a concrete proposal
covering Windows systems, I'd be happy to tackle the task of getting the
same design to work on Linux (and hopefully POSIX in general) using
environment modules.

Cheers,
Nick.

> Cheers,
> Steve
>

> [1]: Actually multiple scripts to handle cmd.exe/PowerShell, but this is
an implementation detail. Users would simply type `activate-py` and the
shells know which one to use.

> [2]: We can easily add Start Menu shortcuts (e.g. "Python 3.5 (32-bit)
Command Prompt") and run it for them, though that is not a critical part of
this proposal.
https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com