[Python-Dev] provisional status for asyncio

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:56:10 CEST 2015

> Ultimately it's Larry's call, but I don't see why we couldn't. If we were
> talking about something as low-level as the urllib package then I would
> agree, but beyond its own tests is there anything in the stdlib that depends
> on asyncio?

At the beginning, asyncio was more fat: it contained a HTTP client and
server. The HTTP code was moved out of asyncio (into the aiohttp
project, which is great and popular by the way) to keep asyncio small
and simple. There is no plan to put libraries based on asyncio into
the stdlib. And I don't think that existing modules should start to
support asyncio, it's more the opposite :-)

For example, urllib.request, http.client and http.server are replaced
by aiohttp. I don't think that it would make sense to add new
asynchronous methods to these modules.

Victor