[Python-Dev] Surely "nullable" is a reasonable name?

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Apr 19 23:38:40 CEST 2015

On 04/19/2015 01:26 PM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> Is argument clinic a special case of type annotations?  (Quoted and
> worded to be provocative, intentionally but not maliciously.)
>
> OK, I know that argument clinic applies to C code and I know that type
> annotations apply to Python code. And I know that C code is a lot more
> restrictive /a priori/ which clinic has to accommodate, and type
> annotations are a way of adding (unenforced) restrictions on Python
> code.  Still, from a 50,000' view, there seems to be an overlap in
> functionality... and both are aimed at Py 3.5... I find that
> interesting... I guess describing parameter types is the latest Python
> trend :)

Argument Clinic and Python 3 type annotations are related concepts.
Argument Clinic's syntax is designed in such a way that we actually use
ast.parse() to parse it, and that includes using the type annotation
syntax.  That's about all they have in common.

This discussion is off-topic and of limited interest; if you have
further questions along these lines please email me privately.

//arry/