[Python-Dev] Surely "nullable" is a reasonable name?

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Sun Apr 19 22:26:13 CEST 2015

On 4/19/2015 1:19 AM, Larry Hastings wrote:

> On 08/07/2014 09:41 PM, Larry Hastings wrote:
>> Well!  It's rare that the core dev community is so consistent in its
>> opinion.  I still think "nullable" is totally appropriate, but I'll
>> change it to "allow_none".
>
> (reviving eight-month-old thread)

>   * Zen: "There should be one (and preferably only one) obvious way to
>     do it." We have a way of specifying the types this parameter
>     should accept; "allow_none" adds a second.
>   * Zen: "Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules".
>     "allow_none" was really just a special case of one possible type
>     for "types".

Is argument clinic a special case of type annotations?  (Quoted and
worded to be provocative, intentionally but not maliciously.)

OK, I know that argument clinic applies to C code and I know that type
annotations apply to Python code. And I know that C code is a lot more
restrictive /a priori/ which clinic has to accommodate, and type
annotations are a way of adding (unenforced) restrictions on Python
code.  Still, from a 50,000' view, there seems to be an overlap in
functionality... and both are aimed at Py 3.5... I find that
interesting... I guess describing parameter types is the latest Python
trend :)