[Python-Dev] Fix Unicode-disabled build of Python 2.7

Antoine Pitrou antoine at python.org
Thu Jun 26 13:04:53 CEST 2014

Le 25/06/2014 19:28, Nick Coghlan a écrit :

> OK, *that* sounds like an excellent reason to keep the Unicode disabled
> builds functional, and make sure they stay that way with a buildbot: to
> help make sure we're not accidentally running afoul of the implicit
> interoperability between str and unicode when backporting fixes from
> Python 3.
>
> Helping to ensure correct handling of str values makes this capability
> something of benefit to *all* Python 2 users, not just those that turn
> off the Unicode support. It also makes it a potentially useful testing
> tool when assessing str/unicode handling in general.

Hmmm... From my perspective, trying to enforce unicode-disabled builds
will only lower the (already low) chance that I may want to write /
backport bug fixes for 2.7.

For the same reason, I agree with Victor that we should ditch the
threading-disabled builds. It's too much of a hassle for no actual,
practical benefit. People who want a threadless unicodeless Python can
install Python 1.5.2 for all I care.

Regards

Antoine.