[Python-Dev] Python 2.7 patch levels turning two digit

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jun 23 22:42:40 CEST 2014

Am 23.06.14 22:31, schrieb Barry Warsaw:
> On Jun 23, 2014, at 04:20 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>
>> At the risk of getting Guido to post his slide again, I still think the
>> solution to the old compiler is to just roll a 2.8 with minimal changes.
>
> No.  It's not going to happen, for all the reasons discussed previously.
> Python 2.8 is not a solution to anything.
>
> If a new, incompatible compiler suite is required, why can't there just be
> multiple Windows downloads on https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.7/
> ?  Well, on reason is that you'd have to convince MvL or someone else to take
> over the work that would require, but that's gotta be *much* lighter weight
> than releasing a Python 2.8.

See my other message. It's actually heavier, since it requires changes
to distutils, PyPI, pip, buildout etc., all which know how to deal with
Python minor version numbers, but are unaware of the notion of competing
ABIs on Windows (except that they know how to deal with 32-bit vs. 64-bit).

Regards,
Martin