Note: Python 2.7.7 has been superseded by Python 2.7.8
Python 2.7.7 was released on May 31, 2014. This is a regularly scheduled 2.7 series bugfix and includes numerous bugfixes over 2.7.6.
This is a production release. Please report any bugs you encounter.
We currently support these formats for download:
- Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.7.7)
- Windows x86 MSI program database (2.7.7)
- Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (2.7.7) 
- Windows X86-64 MSI program database (2.7.7) 
- Windows help file
- Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit x86-64/i386 Installer (2.7.7) for Mac OS X 10.6 and later  (sig). [You may need an updated Tcl/Tk install to run IDLE or use Tkinter, see note 2 for instructions.]
- Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC Installer (2.7.7) for Mac OS X 10.5 and later  (sig).
- Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC Installer (2.7.7) for Mac OS X 10.3 and later (deprecated, see below)  (sig).
- XZ compressed source tar ball (2.7.7) (sig)
- Gzipped source tar ball (2.7.7) (sig)
The source tarballs are signed with Benjamin Peterson's key, which has key id 18ADD4FF. The Mac installers were signed with Ned Deily's key, which has a key id of 6F5E1540. The public keys are located on the download page.
MD5 checksums and sizes of the released files:
35ff484a9cf08d155e64dc0fb4965f90 16674816 python-2.7.7.msi 497e749747ebd31e40b06bffdfebb2ee 17199104 python-2.7.7.amd64.msi 4dd516ec405d3378dc37804e0223a95a 23643202 python-2.7.7.amd64-pdb.zip 6df424e541a37e2dc0d2946f66e87678 25297986 python-2.7.7-pdb.zip 0b7bd740a41edda10cfe403fa8a00ca3 6049272 python277.chm 79c57d065a49fd17eea53761f402229d 20731709 python-2.7.7-macosx10.3.dmg 1cdd1596652baea9cb4777d06573d467 473 python-2.7.7-macosx10.3.dmg.asc 73aa1007f721bcb4addf3255cc9c9494 20444003 python-2.7.7-macosx10.5.dmg fee877c55e11f0def1fc6806c49a62e7 473 python-2.7.7-macosx10.5.dmg.asc 7f79090c979299e3f5e918e150a75c83 20330236 python-2.7.7-macosx10.6.dmg 999182107aa59d788c5e535ae2052e18 473 python-2.7.7-macosx10.6.dmg.asc cf842800b67841d64e7fb3cd8acb5663 14809415 Python-2.7.7.tgz 41f7348b348e3f72fcfb4f4d76701352 10496500 Python-2.7.7.tar.xz
About the 2.7 release series
Among the features and improvements to Python 2.6 introduced in the 2.7 series are
- An ordered dictionary type
- New unittest features including test skipping, new assert methods, and test discovery
- A much faster io module
- Automatic numbering of fields in the str.format() method
- Float repr improvements backported from 3.x
- Tile support for Tkinter
- A backport of the memoryview object from 3.x
- Set literals
- Set and dictionary comprehensions
- Dictionary views
- New syntax for nested with statements
- The sysconfig module
Binary installer support for OS X 10.4 and 10.3.9 to be discontinued
Python 2.7.7 is the last release for which binary installers will be released on python.org that support Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and 10.4.x (Tiger) systems. For Python 2.7.7 only, we are providing three OS X binary installers: the unchanged 10.6+ 64-bit/32-bit format, the deprecated 10.3+ 32-bit-only format, and the newer 10.5+ 32-bit-only format. See the README included with the installer downloads for more information.
|||(1, 2) The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture (formerly EM64T), i.e. the architecture that Microsoft calls x64, and AMD called x86-64 before calling it AMD64. They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly IA-64).|
|||(1, 2, 3) There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here.|