[Python-Dev] Moving Python 3.5 on Windows to a new compiler

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jun 6 21:20:04 CEST 2014

Am 06.06.14 17:41, schrieb Steve Dower:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to propose moving Python 3.5 to use Visual C++ 14.0 as
> the main compiler.

This is fine with me, but I'm worried about the precise timing of doing
so. I assume that you would plan to do this moving before VC++ 14 is
actually released. This worries me for three reasons:
1. what is the availability of the compiler during the testing phase,
   and what will it be immediately after the testing ends (where
   traditionally people would have to buy licenses, or wait for VS
   Express to be released)?
2. what is the risk of installing a beta compiler on what might
   otherwise be a "production" developer system? In particular, could
   it interfere with other VS installations, and could it require a
   complete system reinstall when the final release of VC 14 is
   available?
3. what is the chance of the final release being delayed beyond
   the planned release date of Python 3.5? Microsoft has a bad
   track record of meeting release dates (or the tradition of not
   announcing any for that reason); the blog says that it will
   be available "sometime in 2015". Now, Python 3.5 might appear
   November 2015, so what do we do if VS 2015 is not released
   by the time 3.5b1 is planned?

Regards,
Martin