[Python-Dev] asyncio/Tulip: use CPython as the new upstream

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 13:10:49 CEST 2014

On 6 June 2014 19:31, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Guido just wrote in the issue: "Actually for asyncio we have special
> dispensation to push new features to minor releases (until 3.5).
> Please push to 3.4 so the source code is the same everywhere (except
> selectors.py, which is not covered by the exception)."
>
> I disagree with Guido. I would prefer to start to maintain a different
> branch for Python 3.4, because I consider that only bugfixes should be
> applied to Python 3.4.

This is why PEP 411 was thrashed out: to let us split the dates of
"make broadly available in the standard library" and "get ultra
conservative with API changes". asyncio was added as a provisional
module, so it can still get new features in 3.4.x maintenance releases
- that's a far more minor change than the backwards compatibility
breaks permitted by the PEP.

The difference with selectors is that it was *not* added as a
provisional module - it's subject to all the normal stability
requirements.

Cheers,
Nick.