[Python-Dev] Email from Rietveld Code Review Tool is classified as spam

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 05:26:23 CET 2014

On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Sky Kok <sky.kok at speaklikeaking.com> wrote:
> Anyway, sometimes when people review my patches for CPython, they send
> me a notice through Rietveld Code Review Tool which later will send an
> email to me. However, my GMail spam filter is aggressive so the email
> will always be classified as spam because it fails spf checking. So if
> Taylor Swift clicks 'send email' in Rietveld after reviewing my patch,
> Rietveld will send email to me but the email pretends as if it is sent
> from taylor at swift.com. Hence, failing spf checking.
>
> Maybe we shouldn't pretend as someone else when sending email through Rietveld?

That's not the fault of Gmail, except perhaps in that no rejection
will have gone to the originating server.

The solution is exactly as you say. The "From" can still say
taylor at swift.com, but the envelope-from (the "MAIL FROM:" at protocol
level) should be an address that can cope with bounces.

ChrisA