[Python-Dev] Exposing the Android platform existence to Python modules

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 08:46:21 CEST 2014

On 1 August 2014 02:54, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> I've no idea what you mean by "userland" in your suggestions above or below,
> but doesn't the Android environment qualify as a (multi-versioned) platform
> independently of its host OS? Seems I've read about an Android
> reimplementation for Windows, for example. As long as all the services
> expected by Android are faithfully produced, the host OS may be irrelevant
> to an Android application... in which case, I would think/propose/suggest
> the platform name should change from win32 or linux to Android (and the
> Android version be reflected in version parts).

Alternatively, if having sys.platform be "linux" makes portability
easier because code that does a platform check generally gets the
right answer if Android reports as "linux", then why not make
sys.linux_distribution report "android"?

To put it briefly, either android is the platform, or android is a
specific distribution of the linux platform.

Paul