[Python-Dev] Structural cleanups to the main CPython repo

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue May 28 14:31:17 CEST 2013

Le Tue, 28 May 2013 22:15:25 +1000,
Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> a écrit :
> I have a feature branch where I'm intermittently working on the
> bootstrapping changes described in PEP 432.
>
> As part of those changes, I've cleaned up a few aspects of the repo
> layout:
>
> * moved the main executable source file from Modules to a separate
> Apps directory

Sounds fine (I don't like "Apps" much, but hey :-)).

> * moved the _freezeimportlib and _testembed source files from Modules
> to a separate Tools directory

Well, they should probably go to Apps too, no?

> * split the monster pythonrun.h/c pair into 3 separate header/impl
> pairs:
>    * bootstrap.h/bootstrap.c
>    * shutdown.h/shutdown.c
>    * pythonrun.h/pythonrun.c

I don't think separating bootstrap from shutdown is a good idea. They
are quite closely related since one undoes what the other did (and they
may also use shared private functions or data). I don't know what goes
in the remaining "pythonrun.c", could you detail a bit?

Regards

Antoine.