[Python-Dev] Structural cleanups to the main CPython repo

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 28 14:15:25 CEST 2013

I have a feature branch where I'm intermittently working on the
bootstrapping changes described in PEP 432.

As part of those changes, I've cleaned up a few aspects of the repo layout:

* moved the main executable source file from Modules to a separate
Apps directory
* moved the _freezeimportlib and _testembed source files from Modules
to a separate Tools directory
* split the monster pythonrun.h/c pair into 3 separate header/impl pairs:
   * bootstrap.h/bootstrap.c
   * shutdown.h/shutdown.c
   * pythonrun.h/pythonrun.c

These structural changes generally mean automatic merges touching the
build machinery or the startup or shutdown code fail fairly
spectacularly and need a lot of TLC to complete them without losing
any changes from the main repo.

Would anyone object if I went ahead and posted patches for making
these changes to the main repo? I found they made the code *much*
easier to follow when I started to turn the ideas in PEP 432 into
working software, and implementing these shifts should make future
merges to my feature branch simpler, as well as producing
significantly cleaner diffs when PEP 432 gets closer to completion.

Cheers,
Nick.