[Python-Dev] Posting frequent spurious changes in bugtracker

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Thu Jan 3 22:06:59 CET 2013

On 1/3/2013 12:13 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> It is a form so technically nothing is being done incorrectly in
> changing values based on what you submit, whether you view them stale
> or not.

Well, it sounds like a pretty shaky technology foundation, if
simultaneous updates of a shared data repository have race conditions.

Certainly leaving a tab open for long periods of time exacerbates the
issue, as it severely extends the definition of "simultaneous". Without
that, the likelihood of people doing simultaneous updates is seriously
reduced, except maybe for bugs with "hot" discussions.

Jesus' suggestion of a hidden version field would help, but could be
annoying for the case of someone writing a lengthy response, and having
it discarded because the hidden version field is too old... so care
would have to be taken to preserve such responses when doing the refresh...

Another possible implementation would be to track which fields in the
form are actually updated by a submitter... and reject a submission only
if there was a simultaneous update to that field.

Another possible implementation for fields like nosy, would be to
display the current list, but provide boxes for additions and deletions,
rather than allowing editing. Or maybe just a "remove me" button for
deletions would suffice, with a box for additions.  Then the processing
would avoid adding duplicates.

People shouldn't have to do heroic things with refreshing to maintain
the consistency of the underlying data...  database transaction
technology has been around for quite a few years by now, and is well
understood.