[Python-Dev] PEP 426 is now the draft spec for distribution metadata 2.0

Fred Drake fred at fdrake.net
Sun Feb 17 23:36:24 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> As Daniel pointed out, easy_install and pip also don't follow this rule yet,
> so it won't really have any impact if we never get to metadata 3.0.

Actually, my point was that using a separate filename for version 2.0 would
allow provision of both 1.x and 2.0, so version 2.0 metadata can be deployed
as tool support becomes available, instead of having to wait until 1.x tools
are replaced.

Once tools are following the new rule about version compatibility, there's
less worry about this (at least on my part).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.    <fred at fdrake.net>
"A storm broke loose in my mind."  --Albert Einstein