[Python-Dev] PEP 426 is now the draft spec for distribution metadata 2.0

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 22:21:24 CET 2013

On 18 Feb 2013 04:54, "Fred Drake" <fred at fdrake.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Not likely to matter for a while as the current md v1 tools don't
understand
> > this new obsolescence rule :-)
>
> Using a separate file for post-obsolescence-rule metadata versions would
> allow coexistance, which would likely improve adoption.

Perhaps, but not something we actually need to worry about until we're
contemplating metadata 3.0, especially since whether or not it helps will
depend on why we're breaking backwards compatibility. At the very least,
updated wheel, sdist and installation database specs would be needed to
allow multiple versions of the metadata.

As Daniel pointed out, easy_install and pip also don't follow this rule
yet, so it won't really have any impact if we never get to metadata 3.0.

Cheers,
Nick.

http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com