[Python-Dev] externals?

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Sun Nov 18 18:05:45 CET 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:18 AM,  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Zitat von Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org>:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> One way would be to use one hg repo per version, and (maybe, if needed)
>>> a master repo that has them as subrepos.
>>

>> Or have all versions in the same repo as usual (with branches), but
>> have hg subrepos point to different repos: ones extracted from the
>> main repo by containing only the correct branch.  But it might be a
>> bit delicate to pull this off.  (hg clone takes a "-r" option and
>> copies only things needed for the given revision or branch, but
>> apparently we can't pass this option automatically to the cloning of
>> subrepos.  (Maybe it points out that subrepos are a hack best done
>> without altogether, which is what we did in pypy.))
>

> I'd like to stress that we don't need any versioning here. wget and
> tar would be sufficient, except that it's Windows, so we have neither
> wget nor tar. However, including a PowerShell script may be an option;
> most developers will have PowerShell already on their system. AFAICT,
> PowerShell can do HTTP downloads and extract zip files.

I would hope we can just write a simple Python script to do this,
rather than require PowerShell.

I'm 99.99999% certain anyone building Python on Windows will already
have a version of Python installed. Plus, they're going to need it
anyway to build OpenSSL (see PCbuild/build_ssl.py and the references
to it in VS projects).